White Mountain Hiker Nearly Killed by Flesh-Eating Bacteria
One man's infected blisters led to a life-threatening Strep A infection.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Most people are familiar with hiking hazards such as lightning and falls. But flesh-eating bacteria? It happened to Miami man Wayne Atkins. It began when Atkins developed blisters on the 10-mile hike up New Hampshire’s Mt. Garfield in June. He was admitted to the hospital when he felt sick upon returning home; doctors discovered the blisters had been infected with Streptococcus A, which caused necrotizing fasciitis, or “flesh-eating bacteria.” After surviving multiple organ failures, Atkins is now on the mend.