Recipe: Klondike Thai Peanut Shrimp
Bring the ocean to the forest with Klondike Thai Peanut Shrimp.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Total Weight: 1 pound
Weight per Serving: about 7 ounces
Required Equipment on the Trail:
1/2 cup Nestle Nido whole powdered milk
1/2 cup shredded coconut 1
3 1/2-ounce envelope A Taste of Thai peanut sauce mix
2 3-ounce packages ramen noodles (discard flavoring packages)
1 4-ounce can Chicken of the Sea shrimp (or dried shrimp)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
2 cups water, added on the trail
Preparation at Home:
1. In a blender, pulverize milk powder and shredded coconut together.
2. Place coconut-milk powder in a small ziplock bag.
3. Carry Thai sauce mix, ramen noodles, shrimp, oil, and peanuts separately.
Preparation on the Trail:
1. Add coconut-milk powder, Thai sauce mix, and oil to 2 cups water. Stir then bring to a boil.
2. Add ramen noodles and shrimp, along with liquid from can, to the boiling water.
3. Continue to cook for about 3 minutes or until noodles become soft.
4. Garnish with chopped peanuts and serve.
Gordon Abraham, Los Altos, California, The Scout’s Backpacking Cookbook