Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nuts are a classic backpacking snack and a trail mix staple. They’re packable, nutrient-dense, and deliver protein and healthy fats to keep you fueled over miles of hiking. This everything bagel-inspired nut recipe delivers a salty and savory snack that takes minutes to whip up at home. We used cashews, but you can swap in almonds, pecans, pistachios, or a combination of your favorites.
Makes 4 servings
1 egg white
1 cup roasted unsalted cashews
1/4 cup everything bagel seasoning*
*Available at most grocery stores. You can also make your own by combining sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion flakes, dried minced garlic, and salt to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whip egg white with a fork until frothy.
- Add cashews and half of the seasoning to the egg white, tossing to coat.
- Using a slotted spoon to leave behind excess egg white, transfer cashews onto lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining seasoning on top.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring the nuts halfway through. Allow to cool completely before storing in a zip-top bag.