Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
BACKPACKER YEAR OF THE READER DREAM TRIPS – AIR NEW ZEALAND GRAND PRIZE CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING
1. “BACKPACKER Year of the Reader Dream Trips – Air New Zealand Grand Prize Contest”– How To Enter: Beginning May 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM (ET) through August 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM (ET), go to www.backpacker.com/yotr and submit an entry essay pursuant to the on-screen instructions. Your submission must provide details on a multiday hiking trip located in New Zealand that you want to take with a guest of your choice, with the goal of accomplishing something related to the category theme: “Where I want to hike in New Zealand.” The area written about in the essay does not determine the destination of the trip. The destination will be determined by Backpacker Magazine. Proposed trips must require at least 3 days to a full week to accomplish. Your submission should also include evidence that you and your guest have the experience to safely undertake the proposed backpacking trip. Please include full name, email, mailing address, and phone number. Winner Selection: Contest winner (1 total) will be selected on or about August 15, 2013; winner will be informed within approximately a week of the deadline.
The winner will be selected at random by Backpacker editors, whose decision shall be final and binding. All submissions must be made by August 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM. (ET) Winner Selection: Entries will be selected randomly. The area written about in the essay does not determine the destination of the trip. The destination will be determined by Backpacker Magazine. By participating in the Contest, entrant certifies that his/her entry is original, has not been previously published or won any award, and does not contain any material that would violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including copyrights, trademarks or rights or privacy or publicity. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and unfettered discretion to disqualify any entry that it believes contains obscene, offensive, or inappropriate content, that does not comply with these official rules, or that is not consistent with the spirit or theme of the contest. The decision of the Sponsor and judges is final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest.
Prizes & Approximate Retail Value (ARV): One Grand Prize Winner will receive a trip for two to a hiking destination in New Zealand, accompanied by an experienced guide. The winner and the chosen partner will receive: Roundtrip airfare from any major airport near winner’s home in the United States (as determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion) to an airport in New Zealand determined by Sponsor Air New Zealand. One (1) night lodging (single room) at a hotel after the arrival flight and one (1) night lodging (single room) before the departure flight, as well as one (1) night lodging (single room) at a hotel before the hike and one (1) night lodging (single room) after the hike, all chosen by Sponsor Air New Zealand. Transportation throughout the trip, chosen by Sponsor Air New Zealand. Approximate value of the trip package: $5,000. Any unclaimed portion of prize package will be forfeited and will not be substituted. Prize values are in U.S. currency.
2. ENTRIES: To qualify contestant entries must be an essay of 100 words or fewer. Limited to one entry per person. Entries using macro, robotic, script or other forms of automatic entry will be disqualified. Entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. Proof of submission does not constitute proof of receipt. Sponsor shall not be liable for entries and winner notification responses that are delayed, lost, misdirected, misdelivered, marked postage-due, illegible, mutilated, incorrect or incomplete, and such entries will not be eligible for this Promotion. For entries by mail please send to: Backpacker Magazine “YOTR Dream Trips – Air New Zealand Grand Prize Contest,” 2520 55th Street Boulder, CO 80301. Mail-in entries must be received by Backpacker Magazine by 11:59 pm (ET) on August 14, 2013. Mail-in entries may be typed or hand written on an 8.5”x11” sheet of paper and will be added to the online submissions. Regulations listed above for online submissions also apply to mail-in where applicable.
3. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 years or older, at time of entry. Void in Puerto Rico, Canada and where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsor, its parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies and prize suppliers (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same of household of each such employee) are not eligible.
4. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: Online entrants must have valid e-mail address and it is entrant’s responsibility to update Sponsor of any change in e-mail address. Expenses not specifically included in prize description and all taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner. Each prize is awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied outside of manufacturer’s limited warranty. No transfer, assignment or substitution of a prize permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to personalize and change prizes based on the needs and challenges individual to each winner. All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Promotion. By participating, entrants agree that the Sponsor, those involved in the development, production, implementation and distribution of this promotion and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, service providers, and agencies, and their directors, officers, agents, employees, attorneys, and any other person or entity associated with such entities and/or promotion shall not be liable for any and all claims, damages, losses or injuries, including any third party claims, damages, losses or injuries, arising from or relating to, in whole or in part, this Promotion, including entry and participation in this Promotion and acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prizes. All entrants further agree that in the event of any third party claims, damages, losses or injuries, arising from or relating to this Promotion, they will indemnify Sponsor for any and all such claims, including attorneys’ fee related thereto. Winners may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and where legally permissible a Publicity Release within 7 days following the date of first attempted notification. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Winner hereby further agrees that it will sign any documents necessary to transfer copyright of the entry to Sponsor within 7 days following the date of first attempted notification. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its agencies to use winner’s name and/or likeness, biographical material and/or entry (including an altered form of the entry) for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By accepting prize, winner agrees to hold Sponsor, its advertising and promotion agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representative agents, successors, assigns, officers, directors, and employees harmless for any injury or damage caused or claimed to be caused by participation in the Promotion or acceptance or use of the prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any printing, typographical, mechanical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Promotion or in the announcement of the prize.
5. INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Promotion, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Promotion. Sponsor reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. Sponsor further reserves the right to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in a Promotion if it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion by cheating, hacking, deception or other unfair playing practices or intending to abuse, threaten or harass other entrants. Caution: Any attempt by a participant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such participant to the fullest extent of the law.
6. DISPUTES/CHOICE OF LAW: Except where prohibited, each entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by state or federal courts, (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) no punitive, incidental, special, consequential or other damages, including without limitation lost profits may be awarded (collectively, “Special Damages”), and (4) entrant hereby waives all rights to claim Special Damages and all rights to have such damages multiplied or increased. Colorado State law, without reference to Colorado choice of law rules, governs the Promotion and all aspects related thereto.
7. SPONSORS: The sponsors of this Promotion are Active Interest Media, 2520 55th Street, Suite 210, Boulder, CO 80301, and Air New Zealand. Questions regarding this contest should be directed to: Backpacker Magazine, Attn: YOTR Ultimate Dream Trip Contest, 2520 55th Street, Suite 210, Boulder, CO 80301. Active Interest Media is not liable for payment of any prize to entrants who have violated these official rules. Void where prohibited by law. All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply.