Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
How toxic is methanol? Is it safe to get on my body?
Submitted by – Is Stove Fuel Dangerous on My Skin?
The lethal dose of ingested methanol (a fuel sometimes used in alcohol stoves) is generally considered to be around four fluid ounces, but a bit more or less might be required per individual. It can be absorbed in dangerous amounts through the skin, but contact must be on a regular basis, “regular” here depending on how much and how often. Repeat the exposure, in other words, and it can build up in your system. Casual contact–especially if you wash it off soon after exposure
–is not considered dangerous.