Keep an eye out for the resident timber wolf pack on this extra squiggly, point-to-point stretch of the North Country Trail. The hike wanders through resplendent pine-and-hardwood forest and beaver dams to Porcupine Lake, which teems with panfish, bluegills, and trout. Stake out one of the dispersed campsites for a blissfully quiet night, then spend the next day looping around Eighteenmile Springs and the wishbone fork of Lake Owen.
Distance: 14 miles
Duration: 2 days
Turn-by-turn from CR D Trailhead
- Head southwest on North Country Trail.
- Arrive at Porcupine Lake. Throw down a tent and listen for wolf howls. Next day, follow the trail around Eighteenmile Springs.
- Pass Lake Owen Picnic Ground on the lake’s northern shore.
- Hike the rollers in in the Drummond Ski Trail cluster.
- Wrap it up at the Drummond convenience store.
Permit None Contact North Country Trail