PxPixel
Hike: Trail to Valhalla - Backpacker

Hike: Trail to Valhalla

Author:
Publish date:

Group: Hudson Valley Hikers

When: Saturday, May 19, 9:30 am-2:30 pm

Where: Bronx River Trail, Bronxville, NY

Cost: Free (registration required)

Details: It's beginning to be a beautiful Spring, so why not come and see one of the most beautiful trails in the Westchester area, The Bronx River Trail.

We will meet on the platform of the train station in Bronxville for a 9:30 am start, and take a quick stroll over to Lawrence Hospital for sign in and a bathroom break. We'll then hit the trail at one of the most scenic parts, as we pass from Bronxville to Tuckahoe, Crestwood, and Scarsdale.

From Scarsdale, we'll travel on a surface street to Hartsdale, where we'll break for a quick lunch- If you're good, you can get frozen yogurt!
We pick back up the trail just north of the Hartsdale station, continue through White Plains, North White Plains (and the new overpass!) and finally Valhalla and the dam. We'll take a lap of the plaza, visit the 9/11 Memorial and climb to the top of the dam for an incredible vista of the White Plains basin.

Take the 8:42 am train out of Grand Central for arrival in Bronxville at 9:22. Bathrooms available in Bronxville, Scarsdale, Hartsdale, White Plains (it may be icky though), and the dam plaza in Valhalla. Train back to Grand Central from the Valhalla Station, adjacent to the dam plaza, leaves at 51 minutes past the hour. Drop offs at any train station listed along the route. Bring water, snacks, sunscreen, and lunch. Lunch is available for purchase in Hartsdale at several shops. The walk is around 14 miles and reasonably flat on 90% paved paths or streets. The remaining 10% is from Hartsdale to White Plains, and is hard packed dirt with some cinder mixed in.
C'mon and join us- you know you want to..."

Popular Content