Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In

Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In

Brands

Boston News

White Mountain Hiker Nearly Killed by Flesh-Eating Bacteria

One man's infected blisters led to a life-threatening Strep A infection.

Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.

Most people are familiar with hiking hazards such as lightning and falls. But flesh-eating bacteria? It happened to Miami man Wayne Atkins. It began when Atkins developed blisters on the 10-mile hike up New Hampshire’s Mt. Garfield in June. He was admitted to the hospital when he felt sick upon returning home; doctors discovered the blisters had been infected with Streptococcus A, which caused necrotizing fasciitis, or “flesh-eating bacteria.” After surviving multiple organ failures, Atkins is now on the mend.