Group: California Academy of Sciences
When: Thursday, January 11, 6 to 10 pm
Where: California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, CA
Cost: $12 members/$15 non-members (register)
Details: Step away from the baby bellas and learn how to unleash fungi’s true potential.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 7:30pm, Enter the wonderful world of mushroom foraging with Debbie Viess of the Bay Area Mycological Society—and learn how and where to find fungi, why it’s important to study them, and why they’ve kept her fascinated for so long.
- 8:30pm, Discover the power of psilocybin, the naturally-occurring psychedelic compound produced by very special shrooms. Learn about the history—and future—of its use in psychiatric medical research with Dr. Brian Anderson, resident physician at UCSF.
- Get up close and personal with mycorrhiza, fungi that colonizes plant roots, and other fungal delights with Stanford Lab and the San Francisco Microscopical Society.
- Learn about what kind of local mushrooms to look for—and which ones to stay far away from—with the Bay Area Mycological Society.
- Add a twist of fungi to your next cocktail with the Mycological Society of San Francisco—they’ll be making and sharing tastes of earthy mushroom simple syrups. Plus, check out ID characteristics of display mushrooms from the wild and bring photos of your own mushrooms to have them ID'd with the experts from the Mycological Society of San Francisco.
- Join artists from the Paint Pens Collective for art and activities inspired by the fungi kingdom.
- Cultivate your very own mushroom spores to take home with Bay Area Applied Mycology.
- See and taste how fungi can be used to create delectable and healthy drinks from Rebbl and Health Ade.
In the planetarium, catch a screening of Vortex 2.0, a new immersive—and trippy—art and music experience created just for NightLife, featuring artists Bedtimes, Chase Hochstatter, Peter Clark, Chris Bjerre, Can Buyukberber, and Obscura.