Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Use it to…
- Make rope (cut into thin strips and twist).
- Crudely filter water or collect dew for drinking.
- Make a schemag (traditional Arab headdress) to protect face/eyes from sunlight/dust/sandstorm.
- Make a hat/neck gaiter. For a cooling gaiter, “Pee on it, then wrap,” says Bear.
- Mark a trail (cut into small pieces) or signal for help.
- Fashion an arm sling.
- Make a tourniquet or bandage.
- Rig a hobo bag (to carry essentials if you get separated from your pack).
- Make char cloth (see the video). By burning cotton in an enclosed container, you can create an excellent firestarter that ignites with the merest of sparks.