Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
This month’s G.I. Joe: Retaliation pits buff superpatriots against acrobatic ninjas in high-angle Hollywood combat.
They spar with swords and fists across a granite face hundreds of feet high. How do their antics compare to other Tinseltown climbing scenes?
Photos by: Courtesy Hasbro, Inc.; Andrew Cooper / mptvimages.com; Bruce Birmelin / mptvimages.com
1. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Valuable survival takeaway: Always climb with a trusted buddy. Captain Kirk loses a handhold on
El Cap and is saved by Spock’s rocket boots.
2. Vertical Limit Our hero jumps a canyon-size crevasse and swings two ice axes into a cliffside to secure himself.
3. Cliffhanger Fake: bent climbing buckle. Real: the 400-foot somersaulting fall in the opening scene.
4. G.I. Joe: Retaliation Think Cirque du Soleil-choreographed kung fu—on steroids. Surviveable? Only for supersoldiers and Spiderman.
5. Touching the Void White-knuckle reenactments of this true story show that the will to live trumps bad luck.