Every great trip starts with a map. Now, you can create custom printed maps at trimbleoutdoors.com via their map provider MyTopo. These high-quality printed maps match the topographical maps you see in our mobile apps. So now there's a map to go with your mobile app. Here's how to create a custom map for your next outdoor outing.
1. Open an Elite account on Trimble Outdoors. Start a new trip or import a gpx (gpx is a generic and standardized format to share GPS data). The web map editor allows you to upload photos and other media objects and place them on a map. It also allows you to create and plan a new trip by adding points of interest, routes, and tracks. You can also edit existing trips or import GPX files.
2. Zoom in on your trip location, then plot waypoints and draw tracks.
3. When your personal overlays are done, save trip. On the view trip page, click "Print MyTopo" under Map Tools, which leads you to MyTopo.com (our map partner).
4. Pick your waypoint style and track color (we prefer red since it pops most maps).
5. Choose the map type (topo, color aerial, hybrid topo-photo, b&w aerial photo)
6. Select your map size (up to 5' x 8') and scale* (down to 1:10K). The red box shows the printed map's edges. Move the box to your desired location.
7. Choose what type of paper you want (waterproof, glossy, laminated).
8. Name your map, pick a grid overlay, and decide if you want hill-shading*.
9. Preview the map, add to cart. Checkout.
10. If your route requires more than one topo, repeat steps 5-11 to build other maps.
BUY A BACKPACKER PRO MAP
We've teamed up with map partner myTopo to create custom, pre-planned adventures printed on waterproof topo paper. No need to buy and carry multiple maps. Bonus: PRO Maps sync with your GPS or your smartphone for a complete in-field mapping experience. backpacker.com/promaps