1. Headlamp: Get LED bulbs; they last longer. Good bet: Black Diamond Spot ($40, 1.8 oz. with no batteries, blackdiamond-equipment.com)
2. First-aid kit: Learn how to treat wilderness injuries at backpacker.com/firstaid. Good bet: AMK Ultralight/Watertight .9 ($36, 10.4 oz., www.adventuremedicalkits.com)
4. Trail food: Carbs and electrolytes are key. Good bet: Clif Mojo Dipped ($1.39, 1.6 oz., clifbar.com)
5. Fire: Bring a lighter and firestarter. Good bets: A Bic plus Vaseline-dipped cotton balls stored in a pill bottle.
6. Knife: We like a lightweight multitool. Good bet: Victorinox Voyager Lite ($119, 4 oz., swissarmy.com
8. Insulation: Think puffy. Good bet: GoLite Demaree Canyon 800-fill jacket ($200, 14 oz., golite.com)
9. Navigation: Pack at least a map and compass. Good bet: Silva Ranger 515 Compass ($55, 2.4 oz., silvacompass.com)
Upgrade your skills with our online Wilderness First Aid Basics class! Learn to conquer common problems and handle emergencies with grace. Start it instantly, complete it at your own pace, access it forever. Sign up now!