Brew Wild Tea
Bring a field guide and forage for a sippable treat that goes far beyond your typical English breakfast blend.
- Pine or spruce needles: Brew up a handful of these vitamin C-packed needles to help soothe a cold.
- Dandelion: Reduce PMS symptoms and bloating with a cup of tea made from its vitamin A-rich leaves.
- Sage: Steep these purple-gray leaves to soothe a sore throat and freshen your mouth.
- Mormon tea: Use the twigs of this aptly named plant (formally known as ephedra) to make a tonic for upset stomachs.
Mix a Backcountry Cocktail
1) Frozen blackberry margarita: Fresh-picked berries + snow + tequila
2) Watermelon snowfield: Fruit punch sports drink + snow + Bacardi 151 rum + maraschino cherry
3) Morning elephant: Amarula Cream liqueur + coffee
4) Mountain storm cosmo: Lime juice + cranberry juice concentrate + triple sec + vodka + lime Kool-Aid powder + hailstones
Bake With a Twiggy Fire
Turn any pot into an oven by building a small, pyramid-shaped fire using palm-length sticks on the lid of your cooking pot. The fire from above combined with the stove flame from below provides the all-around heat necessary for baking. Feed the fire continuously during the baking period, and voila, you’ll have fresh camp cookies–and a permanently singed pot lid.
Camp Cinnamon Rolls
3 cups baking mix (such as Bisquick)
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup nuts
3 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
Extra flour for rolling
(For tangy apple rolls: Substitute apple cider mix for sugar and cinnamon.)
Combine baking mix and water. Using a Lexan bottle, roll dough into a large, 1/2-inch thick rectangle on floured surface, adding more flour if it gets sticky. In a separate bowl, mix margarine, brown sugar and cinnamon until creamy and spread on dough. Sprinkle with nuts and raisins. Roll up jelly-roll style, pinching dough closed so sugar doesn’t fall out. Use a knife or dental floss to cut roll into one-inch slices and place in a lightly greased pan. Bake 25 to 35 minutes on your fire, until brown on top and a fork stuck in dough comes out out clean.
Upgrade Your S’mores
1) Apple-cinnamon graham crackers + apple slices + marshmallow
2) Chocolate graham crackers + Andes mints + marshmallow
3) Honey graham crackers + peanut butter + chocolate + marshmallow
Hiking | Packing & Planning | Camping | Gear | First Aid & Health | Cooking
Cook Trout Without a Pan
Baked: Make a campfire and get a good bed of coals going. Place a thin, flat rock on the coals, pizza oven-style. Bank coals around the rock. Clean the trout, brush it with olive oil, and cook, flipping a few times until done.
Grilled: Weave together green branches to make an improvised grill. Set the grill on rocks over your fire and cook–just be sure to remove fish if the branches burn.
Ceviche: Clean trout and chop into 1-inch pieces. Place in a zip-top bag filled with fresh lemon or lime juice (use six fruits per pound of fish). Chill in a snowbank or cold pond for four to six hours, stirring after the first hour.
Enjoy a Steak Dinner in Camp
Buy a 1-pound, frozen, vacuum-packed steak. Wrap it in several layers of foil, put it in a sturdy zip-top bag, and carry it in the middle of your pack to keep it cool. In camp, cut steak into thin slices to speed cooking and save fuel. Add olive oil, spices, and garlic.
Cook in the Rain
Rig a lean-to shelter with a tarp, tent ground cloth, or plastic leaf bag, plus trekking poles. Or cook in your tent’s vestibule–but prime and light your stove outside. Never use a stove inside your tent: Fire and carbon monoxide poisoning could result.
Fuel Yourself at the Gas Station
Impromptu trip? This is not the time to hunt for sun-dried tomatoes and tiny bottles of truffle oil. But if you take an extra five minutes at the mini-mart, you can find fast foods that pack a weekend-sized mix of protein, carbs, and fat.
- 4 instant oatmeal packets + 2 mini-boxes of raisins
- Instant coffee crystals
- 2 Carnation Instant Breakfast packets
- Poor Man’s Pad Thai: 1 Oriental-flavored ramen noodle packet + 2 Tbs. peanut butter
- 2 cheese-and-cracker packets
- 2 Slim Jims
- 2 packages string cheese
- GORP: 1 peanut sleeve + 1 sunflower seed sleeve + 2 M&M packets + 2 mini-boxes of raisins
- 2 individual-sized bags pretzels
- The Rice is Right: 1 pouch Lipton’s Rice Sides + 1 package string cheese (cut into chunks) + salt and pepper packets to taste