Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
Genteel or a Heel?
1. B, to prevent erosion
5. C. DEET and sunblock pollute rivers.
6. C, except when on high-volume rivers (1,000-plus cfs) and you can’t leave the river corridor
7. One point for each: A (This crust of moss and lichen prevents erosion and promotes plant growth. When trampled, it can take 250 years to recover.); B (high rockfall hazard); D (These snow pellets can act like ball bearings underfoot and destabilize snow slopes.); E (The cornice might collapse.); and G (duh)
9. C, to avoid falling in a crevasse while doing your business
11. B. This food, while biodegradable, is unnatural for wildlife; it can harm them or make them dependent.
13. B and C (one point for each)
15. B and C (one point for each)
16. B. Both yield to horses.
21. C. Or call land managers.
22. B. See #5.
23. A. Spray it through pursed lips
Scoring Give yourself one point for each correct answer.
» 0 to 5 You have trouble finding hiking partners, don’t you? Please go to backpacker.com/camp_etiquette for remedial lessons.
» 6 to 10 We’re laughing with you, not at you. Really.
» 11 to 20 Good showing. There’s room for improvement, but we’re only human.
» 21 to 30 You’re welcome to join our hikes anytime.
» 31 A freakishly perfect score. Relax, would you? It’s the woods!