Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
Less than one year after President Obama established Bears Ears National Monument, President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday shrinking it by 85% and splitting the remaining 15% into two smaller national monuments, Shásh Jaa’ and Indian Creek.
At the time of writing, we still don’t know exactly what Bears Ears will lose. But thanks to a leaked map from the administration, we can guess—and the changes are drastic.
“Almost all of the critical archaeological areas are being slashed, as well as significant recreation, like the paddling on the San Juan River, climbing in Valley of the Gods and world-class canyoneering in White Canyon,” Josh Ewing, executive director of Friends of Cedar Mesa, wrote in an email. “The most dense archaeology (Cedar Mesa top) and most famous archaeology/backpacking (Grand Gulch) are also on the chopping block…I could keep going and going.”
What will Bears Ears National Monument look like afterward? See for yourself on our interactive map.