Dammit, China, everyone told you this would happen: Poor weather has delayed China's march with an Olympic Bic lighter to the top, and could conceivably push their summit attempt past May 10, when other climbers are supposed to be allowed on the mountain. No announcement has been made by the Chinese, but you can bet your bottom dollar they won't let anyone up until they take the torch to the top.
Ang Tsering Sherpa, the president of the Nepal Mountaineering Association, told AFP that if the Chinese torch climb drags on after Saturday, other climbers "will not have enough time to get to the top."
"If you look at the records, expeditions usually summit between the 17th and 25th of May. It's going to be tight," he explained.
After the 25th, weather will get considerably worse, opening up the floodgates for another Into Thin Air-style disasterpiece.
I don't really want the Chinese to succeed in their pointless quest, but then again, I don't want any climbing teams put in extra danger from waiting too long, so I guess I'm hoping the Chinese can get up and back quickly. Let's torch this mountain, already.
— Ted Alvarez
Everest season in doubt as weather delays Olympic torch (Agence French Press".