Make a better mousetrap. That's what Garmin did when they combined their award-winning Oregon 400t (Editors' Choice Award, April 2009) with a 3.2-megapixel camera, creating a top-shelf GPS that can pinch-hit as a point-and-shoot. As a result, our map contributors came back with more trail photos than usual, all geo-referenced to their exact location. And the whole thing is a cinch to use, thanks to a three-inch color touch screen and universal icons that even a non-GPS user can understand.
You can access preloaded terrain maps in 3D, save up to 200 tracks and 2,000 waypoints, and use the microSD slot to expand the unit's 850MB memory. Camera caveat: The 4x digital zoom and autofocus lens are best suited to landscape (not action) photos, and the image quality is best for blogs (not wall art). Bonus: The price includes a battery charger and two rechargeable AAs (expect 10-12 hours of runtime). $600; 5.3 oz.; garmin.com
The AllSport GPS application is a GPS-enabled trainer and workout tracker. It helps you reach your goals and track your success directly from your existing GPS-enabled cell phone. AllSport GPS makes reaching your fitness goals easy – eliminating the need to buy and carry a separate device. You simply start the application on your mobile phone, do your workout, and then hit stop. AllSport automatically records all your results so you can concentrate on your workout. Plus, relax with customer support 24x7.
Key features - the AllSport GPS application:
* Map your route to see where you are and where you have been
* Accurately record time, speed, distance traveled and calories burned
* View a weekly log of all your workouts
* Upload data wirelessly to the web for analysis
* View speed and elevation graphs
* Download routes, maps and training programs wirelessly to your phone
* Get help and support anytime you need it, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Key features - the Trimble Outdoors web site:
* Analyze and compare your workouts with statistics, maps and graphs
* See your training history and workout summary in the fitness calendar
* Share your workout online with friends and family
* Browse new routes and programs from other users and BACKPACKER Magazine experts, and send them wirelessly to your phone