Best for Minimalists
"Superlight, stable, and low profile" is how our tester described this streamlined top-loader after using it for fast-paced hikes around Idaho's Boise Foothills. It's just large enough to swallow a rack and rope, or all of your essentials and clothing for a big day in the mountains. It carried 10 pounds securely for trail running, and 20 to 25 pounds for normal hiking and scrambling, thanks to its flexible backpanel and amply padded shoulder straps.
The removable webbing hipbelt is mostly for stability, not load transfer. The pack profile is narrow enough that elbow banging is a non-issue, even for cross-country skiers. There are no outside pockets, just two inside the main packbag (one on each side), and another in the lid, with an external bungee for holding an extra layer. $100; 1,709 cu. in.; 1 lb. 4 oz. Blackdiamondequipment.com
NEWPORT Pack Made for Adventure.
• 100% Recycled Molded Rubber Bottom
• 100% Recycled Aluminum Components
• 100% Recycled interior liners
• Exterior side water Bottle pockets
• interior Hydration Bladder Pocket and
• interior stash and zippered security
• Breathable mesh and Foam Back Panel
• 15.4” Padded Laptop sleeve