“It’s a two-fer deal,” says one tester of the double-wall Volt 2, which kept her comfortable in both summer and winter conditions. Huge floor-to-ceiling mesh doors and fly vents on the two vestibules facilitate cross-breezes and virtually eliminate condensation. Through rainy nights in the Cascades, our tester saw zero moisture inside—even when she camped in a drippy meadow. And by zipping the doors’ fabric panels closed, testers converted this freestanding dome into a warm refuge on subfreezing fall nights.
Bonus: The fly extends closer to the ground and provides more protection than is typical with many three-season tents. A short brow pole above the doors straightens walls and creates excellent headroom. “And since the door extends right up to the ceiling seam, I don’t have to fold myself in half to get inside this tent,” says one tester.
Living space is adequate for six-footers (but not taller). And the nine-square-foot vestibules accommodate packs and boots with room to spare for exits. Transparent window panels on the fly brighten the interior on rainy days. Downside: It’s a tad heavy for the floor space. But for comfort in a range of conditions, the Volt is hard to beat. $309 CAN; 4 lbs. 6 oz.; mec.caAt less than half the weight of traditional tents, the Echo II Shelter System is perfect for two person adventuring, distance hiking, backpacking, climbing, camping, cycling, kayaking or canoeing. This verstaile shelter system may also be suitable for solo hikers who prefer a larger sleeping space.
The Echo II consists of three modular components including a durable and ultraligh cuben fiber tarp, a detachable mesh tent insert for 100% protection against ground water and insects, and a detachable vestibule for severe weather protection. Using all components together, the Echo II works just like a traditional fully enclosed tent and it sets up in minutes.
ECHO II Ultralight Shelter System:
- Three component system providing ultimate versatility
- 1.68 lb (26.9 oz) two-man ultralight shelter
- Minutes to set-up
- ECHO II Tarp:
- Dimensions = 8’6” x 8’6” x 6’6” (length x front width x rear width)
- Weight = 0.44 lbs (7.1 oz)
- Area = 68 sq. ft.
- Made from ultralight CF8
-Catenary curve ridgeline with taped, bonded and sealed felled seam
- Fully bonded radial double reinforced tie-outs
- Fully bonded double reinforced ridgeline tie-outs
- Three interior ridgeline D-rings
- D-rings on all tie-outs for accessory attachment
- Metal O-ring ridgeline tie-out for attachment to trekking or tent poles
- Military grade snaps on front corner tie-outs for beak attachment
- Custom-made ultralight Spectra guy lines with line-locks
- Most technically advanced professional tarp available
ECHO II Insert:
- Dimensions = 7’0” x 51” x 45” (length x front width x rear width)
- Height = 41”
- Weight = 0.97 lbs (15.5 oz)
- Area = 28 sq. ft.
- Durable CF15 seam sealed bathtub floor
- Ultralight CF8 side and rear panels
- Mesh net ceiling and upper portion of front and side panels
- Full length front door zipper with duel zipper pulls for maximum convenience
- Front door tie to hold door open
- Four corner stake tie-outs
- Four corner bungee tie-outs for attachment to the Echo II Tarp
- Can be pitched individually or together with the Echo II Tarp
ECHO II Beak:
- Dimensions = 51” x 51” x 52” (length x height x hypotenuse)
- Weight = 0.27 lbs (4.3 oz)
- Made of CF8 with double reinforced corners
- Military spec Velcro hook & loop closure to attach to the top of the Echo II Tarp
- Military grade corner snaps to attach to the bottom of the Echo II Tarp
- Front corner tie-out to attach to tarp ridgeline stake
- Double-pull, waterproof zipped entry
- Ability to open right or left side
- No additional stakes or hardware required to attach to the Echo II Tarp