My son came back from an outdoor camp and proclaimed that rubbing the liquid from the broken stalk of a fern on a sting from nettles, poison ivy, or poison oak will stop the stinging. Is it true?
Submitted by - Jeff L.
The best I can answer is this: I have never heard of it, and I could not find any reference to it in my library. There is a plant often growing in the same habitat as poison ivy named Jewelweed (not a fern) that reportedly relieves the itch of poisonous plants when you rub on its juice, but limited studies haven't shown this to be effective.