[long and light]
Tall campers usually face an unhappy compromise when it comes to shelter: either fold like origami in ultralight tents, or pay a weight penalty for XXL comfort. Happily, the 96-inch-long Slater offers a no-settle option. A colossal front door allowed our lanky testers to enter without jackknifing, the 40-inch peak height let our 6’3” guinea pig sit fully upright, and the 37-square-foot floor offered sufficient room for two hikers and their 40-pound canine companion. Yet this freestanding, double-wall dome weighs just two and a half pounds, thanks to a pole-trimming geometry and snug dimensions at the foot end, where the 26-inch ceiling doesn’t feel confining.
Its taut pitch proved unflappable on California’s Tahoe Rim Trail, where a thunderstorm hammered it with 30-mph winds. Minimal mesh makes it ideal for chilly shoulder seasons or higher elevations year-round (a fabric panel can seal off the mesh door to boost warmth). But ventilation is still good—testers had no condensation problems—thanks to mesh panels strategically placed at the head and foot ends. The 8-square-foot vestibule proved big enough for cooking or gear (though it blocks exits). Bonus: Exceptionally compressible fabrics (using a unique fiber construction that Big Agnes claims is lighter and stronger than comparable 20-denier material) enable the tent to pack down smaller than you might expect, to about the size of a large baguette. $390; 2 lbs. 9 oz.; bigagnes.com
* Three season, free standing, ultralight backpacking tent
* DAC Featherlite NSL pole system with press fit connectors and lightweight hubs - featuring eco-friendly anodizing
* All DAC poles made from TH72M aluminum: the latest technology in lightweight tent poles featuring improved durability
* Fly is ultralight silicone treated nylon rip-stop with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
* Floor is ultralight silicone treated nylon rip-stop with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
* Tent body is ultralight breathable nylon rip-stop and polyester mesh
* Mesh body offers excellent ventilation
* Single hub/pole design makes set up easy
* DAC Twist clips attach tent body to the pole frame for quick and easy set up
* Single door and vestibule
* Mesh pocket included. Located above head at front of tent.
* Reflective guyline and reflective webbing on tent corners for nighttime visibility
* All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane (No PVC or VOC's) tape
* 11 Superlight aluminum J stakes - featuring eco-friendly anodizing - included
* Gear loft loops included: Fits Big Agnes TRIANGLE gear loft - sold separately
* Footprint sold separately
* Color: Cool Grey/Gold
* Note: We list several weights for our tents to aid your product research.
Trail weight refers to poles, fly and tent body.
Packed weight includes poles, fly, tent body, stakes, guy lines, stuff sacks, instructions, and packaging.
Fast Fly weight refers to the poles, tent fly and accessory Fast Fly footprint.