BACKPACKER GPS Trails Lite
Record hiking trails, backpacking trips, and camping adventures with the free version of the iPhone app, Backpacker GPS Trails Lite. View maps, navigate with digital compass, take photos, and backtrack to the trailhead. GPS Trails Lite works in remote places like national parks, wilderness areas, and backcountry spots — without relying on data and cell signals!
Get published: Every month the editors at Backpacker handpick adventures shared by its online community to be published in the magazine. Kickstart your adventure writing and photography career with GPS Trails.
Navigate on the trail: Use the digital compass to follow bearings or go to waypoints on the trail.
View stats: Calculate calories, speed, distance, and elevation.
Share adventures: Post trips on Facebook, Twitter, and BACKPACKER.com.
Locate trips: Search by name or park, and select from trails near your current location.
BACKPACKER GPS Trails PRO
GPS Trails Pro is the full version of the app. By upgrading to GPS Trails PRO, you'll activate more features, including different map types and expanded navigational tools.
More bonus features available only in GPS Trails PRO:
- Unlimited access to seamless US and Canada topographic maps, and worldwide terrain maps.
- Store maps on the phone for offline viewing in the backcountry and faster load times off the grid.
- Download 3,000+ editor-endorsed trip reports for national parks and major cities.
- Shoot video and geotag it to an exact location on a map. Save the videos right to your YouTube account.
- Convert lat/long coordinates to UTM and NAD 27 map datum to sync with paper maps for advanced navigation in the field.
- No ads. Say goodbye to advertisements that occupy valuable screen space for navigating.
Battery Life: While we optimize our code to cut down on power requirements, continued use of the GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. For longer dayhikes or overnight trips, we suggest packing backup battery packs to charge the phone.
Follow Us: We’ve created a Facebook User Group for GPS Trails apps to discuss topo tips, highlight mapping solutions, preview upcoming releases, promote featured content, and gather your feedback. Your comments helps us create a better app. Go to: facebook.com/backpackergpstrails.
Report Bugs: Please post any bugs with GPS Trails on our Facebook page too. We’ll work with you to resolve and replicate any issues ASAP. Go to: facebook.com/backpackergpstrails.
Login Issues: A handful of readers have experienced problems logging into the app. Some older backpacker.com accounts are not compliant with our phone apps. Please shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll fix your login problems ASAP.