Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In

Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In

Brands

Ask Buck

Is Stove Fuel Dangerous on My Skin?

How toxic is methanol? Is it safe to get on my body?

Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.

Question:

How toxic is methanol? Is it safe to get on my body?

Submitted by – Is Stove Fuel Dangerous on My Skin?

Answer:

The lethal dose of ingested methanol (a fuel sometimes used in alcohol stoves) is generally considered to be around four fluid ounces, but a bit more or less might be required per individual. It can be absorbed in dangerous amounts through the skin, but contact must be on a regular basis, “regular” here depending on how much and how often. Repeat the exposure, in other words, and it can build up in your system. Casual contact–especially if you wash it off soon after exposure

–is not considered dangerous.