Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
I have very poor circulation in my fingers and toes. What is the best way to keep them warm consistenty without overheating?
Submitted by – Craig, Gaylord, MI
There are several methods you can try to keep your fingers and toes warm:
- Wear winter mittens and insulated winter boots.
- Stay hydrated.
- Place a thin heat pack in the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet.
- Keep snacking when you’re outside in the winter, to maintain a fuel supply to your inner furnace.
- Wear an insulating hat (your head will take heat away from your hands if it feels challenged).
- Pace yourself to avoid exhaustion.
If nothing helps you keep your fingers and toes warm, I suggest you have a talk with your favorite physician. You may have a specific problem that medical treatment can help. —Buck