Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
Think you’ve got your love for backpacking gear under control? How sure are you? Here are 19 signs that your “hobby” has become an addiction.
1. You have enough extra clothes to fully outfit your out-of-town friends when they come visit.
Hold still, you’ll be happier wearing this.
2. Your bookshelf looks like this.
All guidebooks, because fiction is lies.
3. You’ve had heated debates about the merits of lithium vs. alkaline batteries.
Lithium is 33% lighter! Why are we even still talking about this? (Gronkca / Flickr)
4. Your annual REI dividend has exceeded $250
Free money! Buy more gear!
5. You made survival bracelets to give as Christmas presents.
And they’ll thank me when it save their lives.
6. You own collapsible titanium chopsticks.
For all that backcountry sushi I eat.
7. You know what denier means.
And also how to pronounce it. (Apapadop / Wikimedia Commons)
8. You registered at REI for your wedding.
Matching kayaks FTW! (Chris Phan / Flickr)
9. You named your camp stove.
Meet Roger. We’ve been everywhere together.
10. Your “coffee table” is actually a large tub of packs that aren’t used enough to make it onto the peg board.
We open it on special occasions.
11. You’ve got sleeping bags for every condition.
12. And packs.
Which one is best for windy Tuesdays?
13. And boots.
Is this more of a Sticky Rubber or a Vibram kind of day?
14. And your dog has multiples of everything, too.
Gah, we should have brought the 12-liter pack! (scottks / flickr)
15. You get Steep And Cheap alerts on your phone.
All the deals belong to me.
16. If your car got stolen, you’d get a bigger insurance check for what’s inside than for the car itself.
Just heading out for the weekend. (katiebornder / Flickr)
17. You’ve worn your Chacos as formalwear.
Black goes with everything. (Connie Ma / Flickr)
18. These are the only drinking vessels in your house.
They stack so well!