Brand: Hyperlite Mountain Gear
Model: Echo I
“It’s a two-fer deal,” says one tester of the double-wall Volt 2, which kept her comfortable in both summer and winter conditions. Huge floor-to-ceiling mesh doors and fly vents on the two vestibules facilitate cross-breezes and virtually eliminate condensation. Through rainy nights in the Cascades, our tester saw zero moisture inside—even when she camped in a drippy meadow. And by zipping the doors’ fabric panels closed, testers converted this freestanding dome into a warm refuge on subfreezing fall nights.
Bonus: The fly extends closer to the ground and provides more protection than is typical with many three-season tents. A short brow pole above the doors straightens walls and creates excellent headroom. “And since the door extends right up to the ceiling seam, I don’t have to fold myself in half to get inside this tent,” says one tester.
Living space is adequate for six-footers (but not taller). And the nine-square-foot vestibules accommodate packs and boots with room to spare for exits. Transparent window panels on the fly brighten the interior on rainy days. Downside: It’s a tad heavy for the floor space. But for comfort in a range of conditions, the Volt is hard to beat. $309 CAN; 4 lbs. 6 oz.; mec.caGreat for solo adventuring, distance hiking, lightweight backpacking, climbing, camping, cycling, kayaking or canoeing, the Echo I is an innovative, durable, and ultralight one-man shelter.
This ultralight shelter consists of three modular components: a durable Cuben Fiber tarp, a detachable mesh tent insert for 100% insect and ground water protection, and a detachable vestibule for wind and storm protection. Using all components together, the Echo I works like a traditional one-man tent at approximately half the weight. Echo Shelter Systems can be pitched almost anywhere in just minutes.
ECHO I Ultralight Shelter System:
– Three component system provides ultimate versatility
– 1.31 lb or 20.0 oz. one-man ultralight shelter
– Minutes to set-up
ECHO I Tarp:
– Dimensions = 86 x 7 x 5 (length x front width x rear width)
– Weight = 0.38 lbs (6.1 oz)
– Area = 51 sq. ft.
– Made from ultralight CF8
– Catenary curve ridgeline with taped, bonded and sealed felled seam
– Fully bonded radial double reinforced tie-outs
– Fully bonded double reinforced ridgeline tie-outs
– Three interior ridgeline D-rings
– D-rings on all tie-outs for accessory attachment
– Metal O-ring ridgeline tie-out for attachment of trekking or tent poles
– Military grade snaps on front corner tie-outs for beak attachment
– Custom-made ultralight Spectra guy lines with line-locks
– Most technically advanced professional tarp available
ECHO I Insert:
– Dimensions = 610 x 32 x 20 (length x front width x rear width)
– Height = 38
– Weight = 0.71 lbs (11.49 oz)
– Area = 18 sq. ft.
– Durable CF15 seam sealed bathtub floor
– Ultralight CF8 side and rear panels
– Mesh net ceiling and upper portion of front and side panels
– Full length front door zipper with duel zipper pulls for maximum convenience
– Front door tie to hold door open
– Four corner stake tie-outs
– Four corner bungee tie-outs plus two middle tie-outs for attachment to the Echo I or Echo II Tarp
– Can be pitched individually or together with the Echo I or Echo II Tarp
ECHO I Beak:
– Dimensions = 42 x 42 x 42 (length x height x hypotenuse)
– Weight = 0.25 lbs (4.1 oz)
– Made of CF8 with double reinforced corners
– Military spec Velcro hook & loop closure to attach to the top of the Echo I Tarp
– Military grade corner snaps to attach to the bottom of the Echo I Tarp
– Front corner tie-out to attach to tarp ridgeline stake
– Double-pull, waterproof zipped entry
– Ability to open right or left side
– No additional stakes or hardware required to attach to the Echo I Tarp