Brand: Hi-Tec Sports
Model: V-Lite Gran Canaria
Testers usually prefer all-terrain mountain boots like these only for big-load, multiday trips. But the Khumbus are so comfortable that testers also chose them for dayhikes. Says one: “Unlike with some burly hikers, making the morning transition from camp shoes to these boots was easy.”
Credit a design that promotes comfortable walking without compromising protection. Our tester reports that ticking off miles in Rocky Mountain National Park was a breeze thanks to the boot’s slight rocker, low weight (for the category), and flex point at the ball. But it’s still plenty rigid for off-trail travel.
The boot’s full-length PU shank and EVA shock pads under the heel and ball provided all-day comfort on rock slabs and boulder fields in Pikes Peak Wilderness.
Deep lugs and a well-defined heel provide braking on dicey slopes. The 1.8-mm-thick suede upper protected against stones but molded to the foot. And they’re dry, thanks to a Gore-Tex liner, full rubber rand* (which seals upper to sole and prevents abrasion), and a snug collar that kept out rain, slush, and snow on weeklong Rockies peakbagging trips. $285; 3 lbs. 4 oz.; m’s 7-14, w’s 6-11; asolo.com/
*RAND A protective band—often rubber or synthetic leather—that wraps around the boot’s lower perimeter and increases abrasion resistanceCATEGORY: SANDALS
– PU Nubuck upper with soft linings
– Single adjustment point via hook-and-loop strap
– Multi-Strap upper design with toe ring
– Women’s specific last for superior fit and comfort
– V-Lite design and build technology
– Contoured V-Lite CMEVA midsole for cushioning
– External ESS Shank for added support
– V-Lite MDT carbon rubber outsole plugs
– Anti-microbial micro-fiber footbed
WEIGHT: 5.0 oz.
STYLE: LIGHT TAUPE/OLIVE/GOLDEN HAZE
BLUE MOON/LIGHT BLUE (shown)