Brand: Big Agnes
Model: Fly Creek UL2
When one tester packed the Copper Spur for a weekend trip in Colorado’s Indian Peaks with his wife, three kids, and dog, the missus looked at the little bundle strapped to his pack and asked, dismayed, “Are you bringing two of those?”
But she became a believer when he pitched the shelter (with the help of a nine-year-old, it took just a few minutes), and the family of five plus pooch crawled in. Wall-to-wall headroom with a peak height of 50 inches—and a generous 57-square-foot floor—make the Copper Spur so spacious that, in Capitol Reef National Park, eight (adult) testers squeezed in for dinner and a card game during a snowstorm. The crew cooked in one 13.5-square-foot vestibule and stored a couple of packs in the other.
The key to the amazing space-to-weight ratio? Ultralight fabrics like 15-denier siliconized nylon in the fly (which contribute to the high price), and the same stable, efficient, hubbed pole system that earned the Copper Spur UL3 a 2008 Editors’ Choice Award. Like the smaller version, this one proved dry and stable in typical three-season storms. And ventilation, thanks to high vents and plenty of mesh, is superb; with temps in the low 30s, even our family of five saw no condensation inside the canopy (though there was moisture on the fly’s interior).
The wispy materials held up well to kid and canyon abuse, and while the fly fabric is prone to catching in the zipper, it never ripped. Downside? “With this much space,” says our tester, “I don’t have an excuse for making the dog sleep in the vestibule.” $600; 5 lbs. 10 oz. (fly, canopy, poles); bigagnes.com* Three season, free standing, ultralight backpacking tent
* DAC Featherlite NSL pole system with press fit connectors and lightweight hubs – featuring eco-friendly anodizing
* All DAC poles made from TH72M aluminum: the latest technology in lightweight tent poles featuring improved durability
* Fly is ultralight silicone treated nylon rip-stop with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
* Floor is ultralight silicone treated nylon rip-stop with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
* Tent body is ultralight breathable nylon rip-stop and polyester mesh
* Mesh body offers excellent ventilation
* Single hub/pole design makes set up easy
* DAC Twist clips attach tent body to the pole frame for quick and easy set up
* Single door and vestibule
* Mesh pocket included. Located above head at front of tent.
* Reflective guyline and reflective webbing on tent corners for nighttime visibility
* All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane (No PVC or VOC’s) tape
* 11 Superlight aluminum J stakes – featuring eco-friendly anodizing – included
* Gear loft loops included: Fits Big Agnes TRIANGLE gear loft – sold separately
* Footprint sold separately
* Color: Cool Grey/Gold
* Note: We list several weights for our tents to aid your product research.
Trail weight refers to poles, fly and tent body.
Packed weight includes poles, fly, tent body, stakes, guy lines, stuff sacks, instructions, and packaging.
Fast Fly weight refers to the poles, tent fly and accessory Fast Fly footprint.