The 10 essentials packing list was designed to ensure that hikers could a) respond positively to an accident or emergency, and b) remain safe if forced to spend one or more nights out. Here they are, along with some specific suggestions.
1. Headlamp: Get LED bulbs; they last longer. Good bet: Black Diamond Spot ($40, 1.8 oz. with no batteries, blackdiamond-equipment.com)
2. First-aid kit: Learn how to treat wilderness injuries at backpacker.com/firstaid. Good bet: AMK Ultralight/Watertight .9 ($36, 10.4 oz., www.adventuremedicalkits.com)
4. Trail food: Carbs and electrolytes are key. Good bet: Clif Mojo Dipped ($1.39, 1.6 oz., clifbar.com)
5. Fire: Bring a lighter and firestarter. Good bets: A Bic plus Vaseline-dipped cotton balls stored in a pill bottle.
6. Knife: We like a lightweight multitool. Good bet: Victorinox Voyager Lite ($119, 4 oz., swissarmy.com
7. Water: Bring a sturdy container and backup purification tablets. Good bets: Nalgene Everyday 32-Ounce ($10, 6.2 oz., nalgene-outdoor.com); Aquamira ($17, 2 oz., aquamira.com)