It’s all extreme
• Highest Peak Mt. McKinley 20,320 feet
• Coldest Temp Prospect Creek Camp -80°F
• Largest National Park Wrangell-St. Elias 3.2 million acres
• Largest National Forest Tongass 17 million acres
• Rainiest Place Yakutat 160 inches a year
• Most Remote Spot St. Matthew Island 209 miles from nearest inhabited island
• Largest Glacier Bering Glacier 2,250 square miles
• Most Earthquakes 5,000+ per year A 5.2 quake was recorded in Denali NP on Jan. 23, 2011.
• Most Bald Eagles 40,000—half the world’s population hot spot: southeast coast and islands
• Highest Tides Cook Inlet up to 40 feet
• Most Volcanoes 130+ most active: Akutan, with 33 eruptions
• Most Lakes Over 3 million larger than 20 acres biggest: 1,012-square-mile Iliamna Lake
→ Biggest backcountry lake: Lake Shoshone in Yellowstone NP
→ Buggiest wet: Isolated Isle Royale NP hosts biting insects in pre-1900s sizes and densities. Pack deet.