Get your outdoor fix right in the heart of the East Bay. Coyote Hills provides many outdoor activities, but this family-friendly hike to Red Hill will get your heart pumping and give everyone the satisfaction of conquering a "peak." BY MELISSA AVERY, Chasqui Mom.
Distance: 1.54 miles
Time: 1 hour 51 minutes (Hiking with Children)
Distance from San Francisco: 45 minutes
More Information: East Bay Regional Park District
1. Parking Entrance Fee: $5 per vehicle or park for FREE in the dirt parking lot on Patterson Rd/Paseo Padre Pkwy, add 1.49 miles (paved) on Tuibun/Bayview Trail to listed hike.
2. Visit the Coyote Hills Visitor Center and Nectar Butterfly Garden. Open Wed-Sun 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
3. Bring a windbreaker due to strong bay winds in the afternoons.
4. For Families: Family-Friendly events are held on Saturdays at 2 p.m. near the visitor center. To enjoy less crowded trails, head here during the weekdays.
Mile 0.0: Start at Quail Trail at the North end of the Visitor Center parking lot near the picnic tables. Watch out for "boot-leg" trails along the way to Dairy Glen Trail. Follow all trail markers.
0.3: Turn right on Dairy Glen Trail (18 ft paved trail), and quickly turn right on Soaproot Trail, towards the hike's only switchback.
0.6: At the fork, turn right on Red Hill Trail and head up the steepest portion of the hike up to Glider Hill.
0.7: Arrive at to the top of Glider Hill, there are two picnic tables. Continue on Red Hill Trail, notice the trail turns "red" as the trail goes uphill.
0.9: Arrive to the top of Red Hill, there is one picnic table and lots of rocks and boulders. Continue downhill on Red Hill Trail.
1.2: At the fork turn right on Nike Trail.
1.4: Turn right on Bayview Trail (paved trail) and listen to all the birds singing in the marshes to the parking lot.
1. Enjoy 360° views of the San Francisco Bay Area from both Glider Hill and Red Hill on a clear day.
2. Radio controlled airplanes are launched from Glider Hill.
3. Explore the marshland boardwalks and keep an eye out for river otters returning to this area.
4. The Tuibun Ohlone Indian Shell Mound is also open for special events, check the park's website.
5. Springtime turns the hills almost golden with California Poppies among other wildflowers.
Family Hiking Day
Temp: 65 F, Sunny
Who: Two Adults, two children (one child & one toddler)
Family Gear: One day backpack and a framed kid carrier
Snacks: Water, energy bars, candy and banana chips
- State: CA
- City: Oakland
- Distance: 0.0
- Land Type: Other