Important: Please read these Official Rules before entering this online contest promotion (the "Contest"). By entering the contest, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and represent that you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements below.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS PROMOTION.
1. Eligibility. PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE ODDS OF WINNING. PROMOTION VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. PROMOTION OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES (EXCLUDING RHODE ISLAND) AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA AND CANADA (EXCLUDING QUEBEC), AGE 21 OR OLDER. IF YOU DO NOT MEET ANY OF THESE REQUIREMENTS, OR ANY OTHER ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO WIN A PRIZE, AND BACKPACKER MAGAZINE ("SPONSOR") RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO AWARD PRIZES TO YOU. To be eligible to win a prize, entries must be completed and received by Sponsor in the format designated below. Directors, officers and employees of Sponsor, Outdoor Research and International Mountain Guides, LLC ("IMG") and any of their respective parent companies, affiliate companies, subsidiaries, agents, professional advisors, advertising/marketing and promotional agencies, and immediate families of each are not eligible to win any prizes. All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Limit one (1) entry per person.
2. Disclaimer. Sponsor, BACKPACKER MAGAZINE, and any of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, employees, agents, and advertising/marketing and promotion agencies (collectively, the "Released Parties") will not be responsible for: (a) any late, lost, misrouted, incomplete, illegible, garbled, distorted, or damaged transmissions or entries; (b) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet, or other computer-or communications-related malfunctions or failures; (c) any Contest disruptions, injuries, losses, or damages caused by events beyond the control of Sponsor or by non-authorized human intervention; or (d) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest.
3. Promotion Period. The Contest starts at 12:01 a.m. (all times Pacific Time) on April 14, 2011 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (the "Promotion Period"). All entries must be received during the Contest Period to be eligible to win a prize.
4. Winner Selection. All entries will be judged by Backpacker Magazine based on the following criteria: 1) Physical endurance; 2) Navigation skills; 3) Survival skills; and 4) Strength in a 5-minute video filmed in the backcountry. In the event of a tie, the person among the tied entrants with the highest score in physical endurance will be the winner. By participating in the Contest, entrant certifies that his/her entry is original, has not been previously published or won any award, and does not contain any material that would violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including copyrights, trademarks or rights or privacy or publicity. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and unfettered discretion to disqualify any entry that it believes contains obscene, offensive or inappropriate content, that does not comply with these official rules or that is not consistent with the spirit or theme of the contest. The decision of the Sponsor and judges is final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest.
5. Prizes. Prizes will be awarded as follows:
a. Grand Prize. One (1) grand prize winner will receive the following trip prize (the "Trip"): Roundtrip airfare from any major airport near winner's home in the United States or Canada (as determined in Sponsor's sole discretion) to Seattle, Washington, U.S.A. One (1) night lodging (single room) at Silver Cloud Hotel in Seattle, WA, U.S.A. Tour of Outdoor Research headquarters. Choice of one (1) of the following IMG guided Mount Rainier climbs (including food and required rental equipment needed by winner): o 3-day Muir/DC climb (Rainier beginner level); or
o 4-day Emmons climb (Rainier beginner level); or
o 4-day Kautz climb (Rainier intermediate level).
The following gear from Outdoor Retailer: shell jacket and pants, soft shell jacket and pants, insulation layers, gloves, headwear and gaiters for trip. Approximate retail value of the Trip package: $3,500. The winner of the Trip is responsible for all travel, and other expenses not expressly listed in the Trip prize package described above. Second Place Prizes: Two (2) second place winners will each receive a Mithril waterproof softshell jacket (approximate retail value: $200 each). Third Place Prizes: Five (5) third place winners will each receive Arete Gore-Tex Gloves (approximate retail value: $80 each). Total approximate retail value of combined prizes: $4,300.
6. Odds; Taxes; Etc. Odds of winning a prize depend on number of eligible entries received. ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OR USE OF ANY PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. All prizes will be awarded. Prizes returned as undeliverable or otherwise not claimed within ten (10) days after delivery of notification will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. Prizes are not transferable. No substitutions or exchanges (including for cash) of any prizes will be permitted, except that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value for any prize. Limit one (1) prize per household or address. All prizes are awarded "AS IS" and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose).
1. Identity of Entrant. In the event of a dispute about the identity of the entrant, entries made online will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry. An authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The potential winner may be required to provide Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry.
2. How to Enter. To enter, visit www.backpacker.com/toughguy, and complete and submit the online entry form during the Contest Period. All requested contact information must be provided for your entry to be valid. Entries will not be returned. By entering the Contest, you consent to being placed on a mailing list for promotional and other purposes.
3. Contest Rules. Prize winners will be determined by the above mentioned criteria (reference rule 4 above) from all eligible entries to be held at the Backpacker Magazine Headquarters in Boulder, Colorado on or about August 1, 2011. Winners will be notified by phone call, certified mail and /or e-mail on or about August 1, 2011. To claim the prize, winners should follow the instructions contained in his / her notification.
4. General Release. By entering the Contest, you release the Released Parties from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or delivery, misdelivery, acceptance, possession, use of or inability to use any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory.
5. Conditions of Trip. Sponsor will reimburse the actual cost of coach airfare up to a cost of $750. Trip winner must book their own airfare. Sponsor will book hotel reservation at the Silver Cloud Hotel in Seattle, WA. Trip winner must contact IMG directly to schedule his / her climb. The Trip winner must book and commence the Trip during IMG's 2012 climbing season (May 2012 to September 2012), or the Trip will be forfeited. Neither BACKPACKER MAGAZINE, OUTDOOR RESEARCH nor IMG will be responsible if the Trip winner misses the Trip for any reason.
The Trip including the climb dates of travel and accommodations are subject to availability; travel restrictions, conditions, and limitations may apply. The Trip is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules, and those terms, conditions, and policies set forth by IMG at www.mountainguides.com. Trip winner is responsible for all expenses, incidental travel costs, and other costs not expressly provided in the Trip package described above, including without limitation, ground transportation to and from airports, hotels, and climbing location, all meals, incidentals, passenger tariffs or duties, surcharges, airport fees, passport/visa fees, service charges or facility charges, personal charges at lodging, security fees, taxes or other expenses.
Demand is high for all Mount Rainier climbs; the Trip winner's climb date is subject to IMG's 2012 availability. The Trip winner must supply IMG with true, complete and accurate information on IMG's participant information form (including, without limitation, information concerning training and prior mountaineering experience), participant medical information form, release of liability form, and/or additional information as otherwise requested by IMG. Failure to complete all forms provided by IMG accurately and in a timely manner may result in disqualification from the scheduled climb. IMG requires all of its climbers to be prepared physically, technically, and psychologically for all programs, and IMG reserves the right to disqualify the Trip winner from the scheduled climb at any time for any health or safety reason in IMG's sole discretion. The Trip climb is not transferable to any other climb or program IMG offers domestically or internationally. The Trip winner must meet all IMG prerequisites for the chosen climb.
1. Selection of Prize. Actual model, color, accessories and features of the product prizes awarded will be selected by Outdoor Research in its sole discretion and may vary from photos used in print, in-store advertising, and in electronic and web banner advertising, including on the Outdoor Research website.
2. Use of Winner Name, Likeness, etc. Except where prohibited by law, entry into the Contest constitutes permission for BACKPACKER MAGAZINE, OUTDOOR RESEARCH, IMG, and their advertising, marketing or promotional agencies, to use each winner's name, likeness, city / state of residence, biographical information, and / or prize information, without limitation, for advertising and promotional purposes without further permission or compensation. As a condition of being awarded any prize, except where prohibited by law, winners may be required to execute a consent to the use of their name, likeness, city/state of residence, biographical information, and/or prize information, without limitation, for advertising and promotional purposes without further permission or compensation.
6. Miscellaneous. The Promotion and these Official Rules will be governed, construed and interpreted under the laws of the State of Colorado; U.S.A. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Sponsor reserves the right to change these Official Rules at any time, in its sole discretion, and to suspend or cancel the Promotion or any entrant's participation in the Promotion should viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond Sponsor's control affect the administration, security, fairness or proper play of the Promotion, or Sponsor otherwise becomes (as determined in its sole discretion) incapable of running the Contest as planned. In the event that Sponsor suspends or cancels the Contest for any of these reasons, Sponsor may award prizes in a random drawing from all eligible entries received up to the date of cancellation or suspension. Entrants who violate these Official Rules, violate any law, rule or regulation in connection with participation in the Contest, tamper with the operation of the Contest or engage in any conduct that is detrimental or unfair to Sponsor, the Contest, or any other entrant (in each case as determined in Sponsor's sole discretion) are subject to disqualification from the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to lock out persons whose eligibility is in question or who have been disqualified or are otherwise ineligible to enter the Contest. If you have any questions about these Official Rules or the Contest, please e-mail them to email@example.com or send written questions to the address listed below, Attn: TOUGH GUY CONTEST Questions.
17. Sponsor: Backpacker Magazine, 2520 55th Street, Suite 210, Boulder, CO 80301