1. Introduction. This document sets forth the terms and conditions (“Terms and Conditions”) governing your use of Backpacker.com and Active Interest Media Web Site and the information made available on and through the Web Site. Please read this page carefully. The Terms and Conditions, when agreed to by you, will form a binding Agreement between you and Active Interest Media.
2. Acceptance of Terms and Conditions of Use. Your use of the Web Site indicates your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. If you do not accept these Terms and Conditions, you may not use the Web Site. From time to time these Terms and Conditions may be revised by updating this document and posting it on the Web Site. It is your obligation to review these Terms and Conditions from time to time. Your continued use of the Web Site will constitute your agreement to the most current version of these Terms and Conditions. If at any time you do not agree to these Terms and Conditions, you must cease your use of this Web Site.
3. Definitions. For the purposes of this Agreement, the following definitions apply: “Content” includes all Text, Graphics, Design and Programming used on the Web Site.
“Text” includes all text on every page of the Web Site, whether editorial, informational, navigational, or instructional.
“Graphics” includes all logos, buttons, and other graphical elements on the Web Site, with the exception of paid advertising banners.
“Design” includes the color combinations and the page layout of the Web Site.
“Document” refers to any posting to the Web Site.
“User” refers to any individual, organization, or governmental entity who uses any aspect of the Web Site or its services.
“You” refers to the person accessing the Web Site and agreeing to these Terms and Conditions.
4. Intellectual Property Rights. All Content on the Site is the property of Active Interest Media or the property of third parties as indicated, and is protected by U.S. copyright and international treaties. You may not reproduce, modify, display, sell, or distribute the Content, or use it in any other way for public or commercial purposes. The foregoing limitations include, but are not limited to, copying or adapting the HTML code used to generate Web pages on the Web Site, as well as any Graphics.
The “look” and “feel” of the Site (including color combinations, button shapes, layout, design and all other graphical elements) are also protected by U.S. copyright law. All product names, names of services, copyrights and service marks (“Marks”) are the property of Active Interest Media or the property of their respective owners, as indicated. You may not use the Marks for any purpose whatsoever other than as permitted by these Terms and Conditions.
5. Acceptable Use of the Web Site. The information displayed on the Web Site may not be used for any purpose except in connection with your direct personal use of the Web Site as permitted by these Terms and Conditions, and may not be excerpted, summarized, duplicated or otherwise removed from the Web Site. In addition, you represent, warrant and agree that you will not use (or plan, encourage or help others to use) the Web Site for any purpose or in any manner that is prohibited by these Terms and Conditions or by applicable law. Your use of the Web Site is also subject to the following restrictions:
a) You may not send unsolicited commercial email to the email addresses provided on the Web Site. The posting of email addresses is not to be construed as, and does not constitute consent to use of them by any seller of services, any compiler of mailing lists, or any other non-authorized use without prior permission from Active Interest Media. In addition, spam, chain emails, advertising solicitations and similar email solicitations are expressly prohibited;
b) You may not copy, duplicate, download or otherwise use any material on the Web Site except for the purposes permitted by these Terms and Conditions.
c) Any information sent to Active Interest Media via email is not secure and is sent on a non-confidential basis.
6. Monitoring of Content. Active Interest Media does not assume any obligation for the accuracy, completeness, or truthfulness of any of the Content of the Web Site. The Content is presented as general information and may not be updated for the latest developments in the law that affect your specific circumstances.
7. Prohibited Uses:
a) Attempting to probe, scan or test the vulnerability of a system or network or to breach security or authentication measures without proper authorization;
b) Attempting to interfere with the proper functioning of the Web Site or Active Interest Media including, without limitation, via means of submitting a virus to the Web Site or Active Interest Media overloading, “flooding”, “mailbombing” or “crashing”;
c) Forging any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any e-mail.
8. Disclaimer of Warranties and Limitations of Liability. Your agreement to the following disclaimers and limitations is a material inducement to Active Interest Media to permit you to access the Web Site. Your use of the Web Site, and the obligations and liabilities of Active Interest Media in respect of your use of the Web Site, is expressly limited as follows:
a) Third Party Information. The Web Site may from time to time display the content, services, map services, products or hyperlinks of other companies or persons. Notwithstanding the presentation of any third party information on the Web Site, no such presentation shall be considered an endorsement, representation or warranty, either express or implied, by Active Interest Media on behalf of or any third party. In addition, Active Interest Media does not endorse, warrant or otherwise guarantee the substance of any information or services provided by third parties. Active Interest Media shall have no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the content, subject matter or substance of any information accessed or obtained from third party Web sites accessed from the Web Site or Web sites that have links to the Web Site. Access to third party Web sites from the Web Site is done at your own risk.
Although Active Interest Media has attempted to provide accurate information on this Site, Active Interest Media/Backpacker assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information or Services; nor does Active Interest Media warrant that the information or Services are up to date; that this Site will be available at any particular time or location; that any defects or errors will be corrected; or that the Services are free of viruses or other harmful components. Your use of this Site is at your sole risk. Mention of non-Active Interest Media products or services is for information purposes only and constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation.
b) DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. THE WEB SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY WHATSOEVER. ACTIVE INTEREST MEDIA DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES RIGHTS, AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
c) LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. ACTIVE INTEREST MEDIA FURNISHES AND YOU ACCEPT THE SERVICES AND THIS SITE ON AN “AS-IS, AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITH NO OTHER REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, EXPLICITLY DISCLAIMING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WARRANTIES OF SECURITY, AND INFRINGEMENT, REGARDING THE SERVICE TO YOU, OR ANY THIRD PARTY. TO THE EXTENT ACTIVE INTEREST MEDIA PROVIDES ACCESS TO INFORMATION AND MATERIALS PROVIDED BY OTHER SOURCES, ACTIVE INTEREST MEDIA ACCEPTS NO LIABILITY FOR AND MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE CONTENT THEREOF.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ACTIVE INTEREST MEDIA OR ANY THIRD PARTY CONTRIBUTING, INCLUDING MAP DATA AND READER-SUBMITTED PROVIDERS TO THE SERVICES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS OR REVENUES, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, COSTS OF REPLACEMENT GOODS, LOSS OR DAMAGE TO DATA ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES OR SITE, DAMAGES RESULTING FROM USE OF OR RELIANCE ON THE INFORMATION PRESENTED, OR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY LOSS), EVEN IF TRIMBLE OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. YOU ASSUME ALL RISK OF USE OF THE SERVICE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE RISK OF ACCIDENTS BY USING THE SERVICES WHILE OPERATING A MOVING VEHICLE.
THE SERVICES ARE NOT GUARANTEED AGAINST EAVESDROPPERS OR INTERCEPTORS. YOU AGREE THAT ACTIVE INTEREST MEDIA/BACKPACKER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR LACK OF PRIVACY OR SECURITY.
d) Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Active Interest Media from and against any and all liability, claims, causes of actions, damages, costs and expenses, including but not limited to, attorneys fees and costs of suit, arising out of your breach of these Terms and Conditions.
e) Network Coverage, GPS Satellites, Interruption of Service. You acknowledge that the Services and network access are subject to transmission limitations caused by a variety of factors such as atmospheric conditions, topographical obstructions, limitations or lack of coverage of the underlying carrier service and other natural or manmade conditions. Additionally, motor and ignition noise, metal shielding, interference by users of the same or adjacent radio channels may limit or interfere with coverage. You further acknowledge that Active Interest Media is not responsible for the operation or failure of operation of GPS satellites or the availability of GPS satellite signals.
Active Interest Media shall not be held liable by you or any third party for any loss or damage arising from Services, or its interruption, transmission errors, defects or any other cause, including, but not limited to, interruption caused by the underlying carrier. Active Interest Media does not assume and shall not have any liability for events beyond Active Interest Media’s control or the control of Active Interest Media’s subcontractors, licensors or business partners, including, but not limited to, acts of God, acts of any governmental entity, acts of public enemy, strikes or weather conditions.
8. User generated content. On Backpacker.com you’ll also have the ability to post Gear Reviews and Trip Reports, be able to comment on just about every article and video on our site, and post comments in our forums. By submitting a Gear Review or Trip report, you knowingly surrender all rights to that content in all media worldwide to Active Interest Media. Active Interest Media owns the right to re-distribute and syndicate all user-submitted content, including but not limited to trail notes, point of interest details, photos, sound bytes, video clips, and gear review text. Our partner, Trimble Outdoors, also retains the rights to re-distribute and syndicate user-submitted trip content. For our complete Rules of Conduct, see below.
Forums: For our complete forums terms of service, click here.
RULES OF CONDUCT
Backpacker.com visitors represent a wide variety of backgrounds and interests and, you may encounter content that differs in tone or scope from your own thoughts and beliefs. We hope that you will approach these situations with acceptance.
Backpacker.com is committed to protecting a high level of freedom of expression and to maintaining a welcoming and safe community in which that expression can flourish. We will not censor members for expressing an opinion, within the limits of these Rules of Conduct. We will take action against any behavior that disrupts conversations and community on the Site. Backpacker.com has the right, but not the obligation, to remove or move any user-generated content for any reason, without notice. These Rules of Conduct reflect the standards of behavior our members find acceptable. By registering as a member of Backpacker.com, you agree to the following:
1. Courtesy and Respect: You agree that you will be courteous to every Backpacker.com member, even those whose beliefs you think are false. When debating, express your opinion about a person’s ideas, not about them personally. You agree not to make negative personal remarks about other Backpacker.com. members, including negative remarks about their age, disability, gender, ethnicity, race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, intelligence, character, appearance, health, mental health, education, or any other personal characteristic. You agree not to create posts and discussions intended to criticize or ridicule other members personally. You agree not to engage in derogatory name-calling or other inflammatory comparisons.
2. Hate Speech: You agree not to engage in hate speech on Backpacker.com. You agree not to allege that groups or individuals deserve violence or attempt to dehumanize or degrade them on the basis of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, race, nationality, religion, or sexual orientation.
3. Violence: You agree not to advocate illegal violence against or harassment of groups or individuals, even if religiously motivated.
4. Proselytizing: You agree not to make aggressive, repeated, or unwanted attempts to convert another member’s beliefs. Please respect the rights of others to follow their own path.
5. Disruptive behavior: You agree not to disrupt or interfere with community functions. Disruptive behavior may include creating a disproportionate number of comments; creating off-topic comments; making statements that are deliberately inflammatory; manipulating comment topics to disrupt conversation; posting in a language other than English without providing an accurate English translation; expanding a disagreement from one discussion to another; or any behavior that interferes with conversations or inhibits the ability of others to use and enjoy this Web site for its intended purposes.
6. Solicitation: You agree not to use community functions to advertise or solicit on behalf of commercial, religious, charitable or other organizations, causes, products or services. To advertise on Backpacker.com, click here.
7. Spam: You agree not to repeat substantially the same text in more than one location on Backpacker.com.
8. URLS: You may share the URL of a web resource other members may find useful, but you agree not to post URLs repeatedly or for the purpose of promoting a Web site or service (see “Solicitation” above). You agree not to post a hyperlink to or URL of a site that violates these Rules of Conduct. You will not reproduce chain letters, pyramid schemes, mail fraud schemes, or any other unauthorized advertising.
9. Copying posts: You agree not to post or forward transcripts of e-mail or other personal communication without the author’s express permission. You agree not to reproduce material from Backpacker.com (including member posts) without express written permission from Backpacker.com.
10. Privacy: You will not collect or use information about users of the Site without their express permission. You agree not to reveal personal information about someone else. Backpacker.comwill remove any post containing a personal telephone number, real name, address, or any information that might reveal someone’s geographical location without his or her permission. You will not send e-mail to Backpacker.commembers that would violate these Rules of Conduct. Cautionary Note: Backpacker.comcomments are public, we advise members against revealing any personal information about themselves. If you choose to display your e-mail address to other visitors, please be aware that Backpacker.comhas no control over who uses your e-mail address or for what purpose. If you believe you are the target of a cyber-stalker, please refer to http://www.wiredpatrol.org/stalking for more information.
11. Vulgarity: You agree not to display words, information, or images that are vulgar, obscene, graphically violent, graphically sexual, harm minors in any way, exploit images of children, or are otherwise objectionable. You agree not to post URLs of sites where such words, images or information is displayed. Permission for exceptions to this rule must be obtained from Backpacker.com staff.
12. Images, Text and HTML: You agree to refrain from using visually disruptive or excessively large font sizes and/or images. You agree to use HTML and styles only for text effects (such as bold and italics), to post images, or to create normal hyperlinks. You agree not to upload to Backpacker.com or link to any other code, tags, scripts, audio, animations, file or program. You will not upload, post, link to, e-mail or otherwise transmit any harmful component to Backpacker.com, or deface any portion of the site.
13. Minors: You will not post on Backpacker.com if you are under 18 years of age. Surveys: Researchers who wish to post a survey or ask for information from Backpacker.com members must obtain Backpacker.com permission before doing so.
14. Copying Content: Backpacker.com comments are primarily intended for interactive conversation; members are encouraged to express their own ideas in their own words, not to parrot the words of others. You agree not to create posts that consist substantially of material copied from another source. You agree to respect intellectual property rights when posting on Backpacker.com. You agree not to post copyrighted or trademarked images on Backpacker.com, or to engage in “bandwidth theft.” You agree not to post articles or other text from another publication (copyright or not) except as follows: you may quote a small sample, credit the source, post a hyperlink to the author’s original, and include your own comments in your own words. . You agree that you will not modify, adapt, sublicense, translate, sell, lease, reverse engineer, decompile, frame, mirror or disassemble any portion of this Site, or offer to do so.
15. Illegal activities: You will not solicit or promote the use of an illegal substance, promote illegal activity, or discuss illegal activities with the intent to commit them.
16. Impersonation: You agree not to impersonate or spoof Backpacker.com members, employees, hosts or volunteers. You agree to create and use no more than one Backpacker.com username, without explicit approval from Backpacker.com staff. You agree not to express or imply that any content or materials you make, submit, or post are endorsed by Backpacker.com or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
18. Complaints: If there are problems on Backpacker.com, we want to know about them so that we can attempt to fix them. You agree to report community-related complaints and problems appropriately: to report a violation of these Rules of Conduct, or to complain about a comment e-mail your complaint to Backpacker.com staff at email@example.com who will review your complaint and take appropriate action. You agree not to post problem reports and complaints publicly on the site, or to comment publicly on host or staff actions. You agree you will not harass Backpacker.com staff. You will not engage in behavior that requires Backpacker.com staff to expend excessive time and/or resources. In addition: – These Rules of Conduct apply to anything you upload to or create on Backpacker.com, including comments, screen names, member profiles, and any other text or images. – We have the right to suspend or terminate your membership for violation of the above rules. – We have the right to reprint from Backpacker.com discussions any post or portion of a post (along with the user name of the Backpacker.com member who posted it) somewhere else on the site or in any other medium (such as Backpacker magazine, promotional items, etc.). – We neither endorse nor are responsible for any opinion, advice, information, or statement made or displayed in these forums by third parties, nor are we responsible for any errors or omissions in such postings, or for hyperlinks embedded in messages. Under no circumstances will we be liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on information obtained in forums, comment sections, or trip reports. The opinions expressed here are solely the opinions of the commenter and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Backpacker.com or Active Interest Media.
Please check these guidelines periodically as they may be revised for the protection of our members.
What information do we collect?
We collect information from you when you register on our site, place an order, subscribe to our newsletter or magazine, respond to a survey or fill out a form.
Any data we request that is not required will be specified as voluntary or optional.
When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your: name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number or credit card information. You may, however, use our sites without registering, although some content and/or sections may become inaccessible.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
; To personalize your experience
(your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs)
; To improve our website
(we continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you)
; To improve customer service
(your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs)
; To process transactions
Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the purchased product or service requested by the customer.
; To send periodic messages via email and postal mail
The email address you provide for order processing, may be used to send you information and updates pertaining to your order or request, in addition to receiving occasional company news, updates, promotions, related product or service information, etc. We may also send promotional messages to an email or postal mail address that our cookies associate with you when you browse our sites.
Note: If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email.
; To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you submit a request, place an order or enter, submit, or access your personal information.
These security measures include: password protected directories and databases to safeguard your information, SSL (Secure Sockets Layered) technology via HTTPS urls to ensure that your information is fully encrypted and sent across the Internet securely or PCI Scanning to actively protect our servers from hackers and other vulnerabilities.
We offer the use of a secure server. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our Payment gateway providers database only to be accessible by those authorized with special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential.
After a transaction, your private information (credit cards, social security numbers, financials, etc.) will not be stored on our servers.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, rent, loan, or give your email address or other personal information to anybody without your express permission. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may provide third-party vendors with encrypted (i.e. hashed) data that is not identifiable via personal information such as email, phone, address, etc. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others’ rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
How Can You Opt Out of Use and Disclosure of Your Information?
To opt-out of postal mail promotions from Active Interest Media and our partners, please mail an opt-out request to us at:
Active Interest Media | Attn: Circulation Department
5720 Flatiron Pkwy
Boulder, CO 80301
You can direct your opt-out request to specific brands or to ‘all brands.’
You may receive email marketing messages from us about our own or other companies’ offerings. To opt-out of a partner marketing email program, you may follow the instructions at the bottom of any email we send you as part of the program.
We may work with data providers to target advertising to you personally, through online and offline methods including email, display media and direct mail. This advertising may be directed to you because you visited or logged in to our website. When we generate this advertising, data we collect from you through online cookies and other technologies may be combined with other de-identified data (such as a hashed, non-readable email or postal address) in order to tailor ads to you based on your preferences and other information about you. To learn more about targeted advertising, these providers, or how you may opt out, please visit the DAA’s consumer choice page at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
Third party links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
California Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
Because we value your privacy we have taken the necessary precautions to be in compliance with the California Online Privacy Protection Act. We therefore will not distribute your personal information to outside parties without your consent.
As part of the California Online Privacy Protection Act, all users of our site may make any changes to their information at any time by logging into their control panel and going to the ‘Edit Profile’ page.
Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act), we do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.
We have taken the necessary steps to ensure that we are compliant with the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 by never sending out misleading information.
This policy was last modified on September 23, 2016.
Active Interest Media | Attn: Circulation Department
5720 Flatiron Pkwy
Boulder, CO 80301
firstname.lastname@example.org / 310.356.4100
Federal Trade Commision Fair
Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act
Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act
Trust Guard Privacy Requirements