- As a Paramedic, and a avid Hiker/Backpacker.
- Hypothermia is the number one killer in the backcountry, secondary to (or caused by) other injuries. It results from our bodies going into shock (trying to compensate) because of an injury or low ambient temperatures and the natural loss of body heat (thrugh conduction or convection).
- The number one treatment for Hypothermia is to REMOVE; remove wet clothing (and replace with several dry layers), and remove the patient from the cold enviroment. In the backcountry the latter is not an option. So, start a fire (be safe about it, be close, but not too close), put up your tent, get out a sleeping bag and wrapp up in it. I carry a small pack with an emergency kit in it on my person at all times even if I just leave our campsite to just dig a "cat-hole". If I'm actively packing I keep it in the top of my main pack for easy access. In it, amongst other things, is the number one over looked safety item, a heat reflective emergency blanket for TWO. Why for two? You naturally loose body heat, why not "donate" it to someone who needs it.
- Remeber, when it comes to safety, preperation is the best defense and offense!
- It is better to have and not need, than need and not have!
Actually, physical activity should be avoided as it can send chilled blood from the extremities back to the heart, which can lead to cardiac arrest.
You're supposed to strip down and get naked!??!! What's the deal? I feel cheated.
Find Hikes In:
Major US Cities |
US States |
National Parks and Regional Parks
Subscribe to Backpacker Magazine |
Subscription Services |
Contact Backpacker |
Backpacker Masthead |
Backpacker Magazine Mission |
Employment at Backpacker |
Backpacker Contributor Guidelines |
Advertise with Backpacker |
Backpacker Gear Testing Policy |
Reader Service |
Sponsorship Policy |
Get Out More Tour
Explore other Active Interest Media brands:
Log Home Living
Log Home Design
Timber Home Living
Whole Foods Market Magazine
Copyright ®2009 Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. an Active Interest Media company