14. The difference between a true north line and the direction that a magnetic compass needle points is called ____?
15. The first thing to fail on a tent is usually the:
16. "Smellable items," or things with an odor that could entice a bear to enter your tent, include everything except: a. dried salmon
d. dirty socks
e. Wet Wipes
17. When planning a route, expect to travel no faster than:
a. 10 miles per day
b. The slowest hiker in your group
c. 2 miles per hour
d. Your scoutmaster
18. In order to earn a Backpacking merit badge, which of the following is not required?
a. Demonstrate two ways to treat water and explain why this is essential
b. Describe a good campsite
c. Do a solo overnight at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico
d. Plan and go on a five-day, 30-mile backpacking trip
19. Consult a doctor if a tick has been embedded in your skin longer than: a. one minute
b. 12 hours
c. 24 hours
d. 3 days
20. True or False? A hybrid tent is one that was made by two different designers.
21. The best way to assure your drinking water is safe is to:
a. boil it
b. sip only the water
you brought from home
c. filter it
d. add iodine
22. True or False? If you apply ice to a snakebite, it will hurt less and heal faster.
23. For any trek, your pack should weigh no more than ____ percent of your body weight.
24. Which is warmer on a winter backpacking trip: a tent or a snowcave?
25. True or false? New studies show that bear spray, if applied to your clothes and backpack two hours before hiking, is the most effective way to ward off grizzlies.
26. A person suffering from heat exhaustion can take ____ (12-24 or 24-48) hours to recover.
27. Which of the following is not part of the Boy Scout Oath:
a. to help other people at all times
b. to be physically strong
c. to be morally straight
d. to be clean shaven always
e. to be mentally awake
How’d you do? Check the answers and scoring key.