How to Do Everything – The (Actual) 10 Essentials
Don't leave home without these practical, helpful items.
1. Headlamp Get LED bulbs; they last longer. Good bet: Black Diamond Spot ($40, 1.8 oz. with no batteries, blackdiamond-equipment.com)
2. First-aid kit Learn how to treat wilderness injuries at backpacker.com/firstaid. Good bet: AMK Ultralight/Watertight .9 ($36, 10.4 oz., adventuremedicalkits.com)
3. Sunblock Opt for zinc, avobenzone, titanium, or Mexoryl. Good bet: Blue Lizard Australian Sensitive ($12, 3 oz., crownlaboratories.com)
4. Trail food Carbs and electrolytes are key. Good bet: Clif Mojo Dipped ($1.39, 1.6 oz., clifbar.com)
5. Fire Bring a lighter and firestarter. Good bets: A Bic plus Vaseline-dipped cotton balls stored in a pill bottle
6. Knife We like a lightweight multitool. Good bet: Victorinox Voyager Lite ($119, 4 oz., swissarmy.com)
7. Water Bring a sturdy container and backup purification tablets. Good bets: Nalgene Everyday 32-Ounce ($10, 6.2 oz., nalgene-outdoor.com); Aquamira ($17, 2 oz., aquamira.com)
8. Insulation Think puffy. Good bet: GoLite Demaree Canyon 800-fill jacket ($200, 14 oz., golite.com)
9. Navigation Pack at least a map and compass. Good bet: Silva Ranger 515 Compass ($55, 2.4 oz., silvacompass.com)
10. Raingear Bring a waterproof/breathable shell, plus an emergency garbage bag. Good bet: Millet 350 ($350, 12 oz., milletusa.com)
with all our "How to Do Everything" articles
Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS!
Yes! Please send me my 2 FREE trial issues and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets!
2 FREE ISSUES
3 FREE GIFTS!
The Best Trails in America
Survival Skills 101
Change Your Location
Choosing your location will enable us to select specific content to your area. Please choose one of the two options below:
Let us find your location
Your browser may prompt you to enable location services. Choose enable to continue the search.
Find My Location
[advertisement unit="Popover" width=600 height=600]