MAKE A WALKING SPLINT
If you’re suffering from serious knee pain but can stand to limp out, a walking splint is your ticket to the car.
- Roll a sleeping pad up from both ends until you have something resembling two jelly rolls. Leave 4 to 6 inches of pad between the two rolls.
- Place the pad against the back of the leg and curl both rolls around the leg from the rear. Do not cover the knee.
- Place a firm padded object (like a rolled-up T-shirt) in the pad, behind the knee, to keep the joint slightly flexed.
- Tie pad securely around the leg with bandanas or backpack straps. Use two bindings above the knee and four below.
- If you have a self-inflating pad, inflate it after tying in place for extra support.