Pasta Alfredo with Salmon, Corn, and Basil
- 1/2 packet (1 ounce) Alfredo sauce mix
- 2 1/2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon butter powder
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 8 ounces Ziti pasta
- 1 cup freeze dried corn
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon dried basil)
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, crumbled
At home: Combine Alfredo sauce mix, powdered milk, butter powder, cheese, and black pepper in zip-top bag. Package all other ingredients individually.
In camp: Mince fresh basil. Cook pasta 1 minute less then recommended time. Add corn to pasta and set aside, covered by undrained. In separate pot, add 3/4 cup water to dried sauce mix. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain pasta and corn. Add sauce to pot, and toss well. Add basil and salmon, toss gently. Serves 2.
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1/4 pound beef jerky, chopped into tiny pieces
- 2 teaspoons onion flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) dried mushrooms
- 3/4 teaspoon tomato powder
- 1 cup package of instant cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sour cream powder
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
At home: Combine jerky, onion flakes, paprika, mushrooms, tomato powder, mushroom soup, instant potatoes into zip-top bag. Also combine sour cream powder and parsley into separate zip-top bag
In camp: Pour contents of jerky bag into medium pot and add 1 3/4cup water. Bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed. Cook egg noodles in separate pot following package directions. Drain, and put the stroganoff pot on heat, add sour cream mix but do not boil. Serve over hot noodles. Serves 2
Raisin and Nut Curried Couscous
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup mixed peanuts and raisins (or other dried nuts and fruits)
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
At home: Mix curry powder and cumin; carry in a small zip-top bag.
In camp: Boil water. Stir in couscous and nuts and fruit. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until grains are tender and all the liquid is absorbed (about 5 minutes). Add olive and spices, toss with a fork. Serves 2.
Hassle saver: Use a handful of nuts and fruit from your trail mix-just be sure to skip the chocolate chips.
Trail bars and leftover food