Alpine Mac & Cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 ounces (2 cups) small shell pasta
- 5 ounces Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
At home: Combine flour, mustard powder, salt, powdered milk, parsley and pepper in zip-top bag. Combine dried tomatoes and shell pasta in a separate zip-top bag. Pack cheese and wine individually. Note: Swiss cheese does not preserve well, so eat this meal early in the week.
In camp: Cut cheese into small chunks. Bring 3 1/2 cups of water to boil. Add wine to pot, then add pasta and dried tomato. Boil until pasta is slightly tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in dry ingredients, then stir in cheese. Turn off heat and stir until cheese melts. Serves 2.
- 1 (6.4 ounce) box dry chili mix
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 30 ounces (2 cans) dehydrated kidney beans
- 40 corn chips
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese
At home: Combine chili mix, sliced tomatoes, and kidney beans in zip-top bag. Pack chips, salsa, and cheese individually.
In camp: Add 7 1/2 cups of water to a pot. Add dry mix and bring to boil. Summer 15 minutes or until done, stirring occasionally. Add 1 ounce of cheese and corn chips to serving bowls. Serves 2.
Shell Pasta with Pesto and Dried Tomato
- 1 cup thinly sliced dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced dried tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups small shells
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup dried pesto mix
At home: Combine dried tomatoes and mushrooms in zip-top bag. Pack shells, pine nuts, and pesto individually.
In camp: Place tomatoes in a bowl, and dehydrate with hot water for 10 minutes. Cook shells according to package directions. Drain pasta and veggies, then combine. Mix pesto on top, and garnish with pine nuts. Serves 2.