How low can you go?
Rik Christensen, a longtime hiker and designer for Gossamer Gear, has whittled his base weight (everything but food and water) down to an insane five pounds. Here’s what he totes:
- Handmade, 3,000-cubic-inch, silnylon pack: 12.5 ounces
- Modified Nunatak Back Country Blanket: 1.5 pounds
- 52"x19"x.25" foam sleeping pad: 3.5 ounces
- Handmade cuben-fiber shelter: 8 ounces
- Pot with lid, Esbit stove, spoon, bowl: 4 ounces
- 1 pair long underwear bottoms, long-sleeve top, insulated cap, 2 pairs socks, raingear, 1 pair silnylon chaps, 1 silnylon skirt: 1.2 pounds