- Pack Streamlined models with mesh panels and drain holes (such as Imlay Canyon Gear packs)
- Wetsuit 3mm, Farmer John-style, for cool, wet canyons. Rule of thumb: You need one if the combined water/air temp is below 120°F. Also: neoprene gloves (or dishwashing gloves) and socks or booties
- Footwear Mesh shoes that cover your toes and have good arch support and grippy rubber soles (such as the Five Ten Canyoneer)
- Helmet Always: scrambling + loose rock = high risk for a head injury
- Water protection Dry bags or plastic, screw-top kegs (we like Imlay Canyon Gear’s 3.5-liter Dry Keg). Budget option: Triple-bag items in garbage or zip-top bags.