Total Weight: 1 pound 1 ounce
Weight per Serving: about 3 ounces
Required Equipment on the Trail:
Deep skillet and lid
Metal spatula or tongs
1 cup unbleached white wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1 cup safflower or sunflower oil
2 pounds filleted smallmouth bass or northern pike, caught on the trail
Preparation at Home:
1. Mix all dry ingredients together in a gallon-size heavy-duty ziplock bag.
2. Carry oil separately.
Preparation on the Trail:
1. First and foremost: catch fish along the trail.
2. Place cleaned fish fillets into flour mix in the ziplock bag and shake to thoroughly coat.
3. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
4. Using spatula or tongs, carefully place several pieces of coated fish at a time into hot oil, frying for 3 minutes per side before serving.
5. Promptly remove the pan from the flame once finished cooking.
John Bostick, Cincinnati, Ohio, The Scout’s Backpacking Cookbook