MAKE A GROMMET
Do this to stake out grommet-less tarps or shelters: Place a small, round rock in the corner of the shelter, fold fabric over the rock to cover it completely, and tie it off with cord. Tie the other end of the cord to a stake.
BUILD A STOVE WINDSCREEN
1) Determine screen height by placing your largest pot on the stove and measuring from the ground to the pot handles.
2) Cut the sides off a large aluminum roasting pan (or oven liner) to form a flat rectangle with sides that match the desired windscreen height.
3) Determine screen length by wrapping the rectangle around your pot and stove so there is a 1/4-inch gap between the aluminum and the pot walls. Leave a 1-inch overlap and cut off excess.
4) Cut ventilation holes along the bottom of the windscreen with a hole punch.
5) Clip the top and bottom of the windscreen closed with binder clips when you’re cooking.
6) For even greater heat efficiency, cut a circle from the leftover aluminum to fit under the stove, making a reflective bottom.
NOTE: Do not put a wrap-around windscreen on canister stoves; you risk melting stove parts or even causing an explosion. Instead, create a wind block when cooking by propping a backpack or large rock near the stove to serve as a barrier. Be sure air can circulate around the canister to keep it cool.