Total Servings: 4
As Packaged for the Trail: 4 servings
Weight per Serving: About 4 ounces
Required Equipment on the Trail:
4 bowls or drinking cups
1 (11-ounce) package Jell-O No-Bake Cheesecake Mix
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons Butter Buds
2 tablespoons instant dry nonfat milk
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1/4 cup water, plus 1 1/2 cups cold water, added on the trail
Preparation at Home:
1. Remove both pouches from the cheesecake mix package.
2. Combine cheesecake crust mix with sugar and Butter Buds in a pint-size ziplock bag.
3. In a quart-size ziplock freezer bag, combine cheesecake filling mix with dry milk.
4. Pack oil separately for the trail.
Preparation on the Trail:
1. Add the 1/4 cup water and sunflower oil to the bag of cheesecake crust mix.
2. Reseal the bag and knead contents until uniformly moist.
3. Divide crust mixture evenly, pressing the crust into the bottom of 4 cups or bowls.
4. Add 1 1/2 cups cold water to the bag containing the cheesecake filling mix.
5. Reseal bag tightly and knead contents to eliminate lumps, then shake bag for about 3 minutes, until cheesecake filling congeals.
6. Cut corner from the bottom of the bag of filling mix and squeeze over the crusts, dividing filling evenly.
7. Allow cheesecake to rest a few minutes to further congeal before serving.
The water added to the filling mix on the trail must not be warm, otherwise the filling may not congeal properly.
Ed Acheson, Cincinnati, Ohio, Lipsmackin’ Backpackin’