Total Servings: 13
As Packaged for the Trail: 1 serving
Weight per Serving: About 3 ounces
Required Equipment on the Trail:
Cooking stick, found along trail
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup barley flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup ground sesame seeds
1/2 cup whole sesame seeds
1/2 cup flaxseed
1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups instant dry nonfat milk
1/2 cup ground rice or wheat germ
1/4 cup water per serving, added on the trail
Preparation at Home:
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
2. Evenly divide bread mix into 13 pint-size ziplock bags, about 1/2 cup each.
Preparation on the Trail:
1. To prepare a single serving, add 1/4 cup water to 1 bag bread mix.
2. Reseal bag and knead contents to the consistency of pie dough.
3. Form dough into a ribbon and wrap around the peeled end of a smooth branch to form a 6-inch-long “blanket.” Seal the end with a flap of dough.
4. Bake bread over a campfire until golden brown, being careful not to burn the dough.
5. Slide or peel from the branch to eat.
• Some shrubs and trees are toxic! Exercise caution when selecting a cooking stick for this recipe.
• Use only branches collected from the ground and, then, only in areas where downed wood is plentiful and gathering is permitted.
Sandy Lee Burns, Prospect, Oregon, Lipsmackin’ Backpackin’