Total Weight: 1 pound
Weight per Serving: 4 ounces
Preparation Time on the Trail: 1/4 hour
Challenge Level: Easy
Required Equipment on the Trail:
2⁄3 cup milk powder
1 1/2 cups instant white rice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 pinch nutmeg
1 3.4-ounce package vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup raisins
1 1⁄3 cups water per 2 servings, added on the trail
Preparation at Home:
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Evenly divide rice pudding mix into 2 quart-size ziplock bags. Each bag makes 2 servings.
Preparation at Camp:
1. For 2 servings, bring 11⁄3 cups of water to a boil.
2. Add rice pudding mix from a single bag to the pot and return to a light boil over medium heat. Stir.
3. Remove from stove, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Joseph E. Brown, Huntsville, Alabama, The Scouts’ Backpacking Cookbook