Medium-size frying pan
2 bowls, each about 5 inches wide
1 cup sunflower oil
1 large sweet onion
1 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preparation at Camp:
1. Warm oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
2. Slice onion into 1/2-inch disks, then break disks apart into rings.
3. Pour 1 cup water into one bowl, and flour, salt, and black pepper into the other bowl. Stir the flour mixture.
4. Working in small batches so as not to overcrowd the pan, dip onion rings, one at a time, into water in the first bowl, then into flour mixture in the second bowl, completely covering the rings. Then repeat the process once again, a two-dip process in each bowl for each of the rings.
5. Immediately fry rings in the hot oil for about 4 to 5 minutes.
6. Briefly drain rings on paper towels before serving.
7. Repeat steps 4 through 6 for remaining onion rings.
John Bostick, Cincinnati, Ohio, Lipsmackin’ Car Campin’