"It's not technical—it's a tauntaun!" Expect cries like this in nerdy campsites everywhere this summer. ThinkGeek created the Tauntaun Sleeping Bag as an April Fools' joke earlier this year, but by popular demand they've actually decided to create and sell an actual product.
(Need a sci-fi refresher? Frankly, I'm embarrassed for you, but here goes: In the Empire Strikes Back, Han Solo saves a comatose Luke Skywalker from frozen death by stuffing him into the warm guts of a deceased tauntaun—basically the equivalent of a horse on the ice planet Hoth.)
To mimic reality, this tauntaun features a lightsaber zipper pull (illustrating how Han opened the tauntaun) and a cutesy intestine patter on the inside. No word on breathability/waterproofness, fill quality, or other tech specs, but here's the full list:
- Classic Star Wars sleeping bag simulates the warmth of a Tauntaun carcass
- Built-in embroidered Tauntaun head pillow
- Plush Lightsaber zipper pull
- Printed intestines pattern on inside of bag
- Great for playing pretend "Save Luke from the Wampa" games
- Teach your children about the best Star Wars movie ever
- Fully Licensed Lucasfilm™ Collectable
- 100% Polyester construction, Machine washable
- WARNING CHOKING HAZARD - Ages 3 and Up ONLY
- For indoor use only. Not suitable for camping.
- One size fits all. Enough room for adults, plenty of space for kids
- Bag Dimensions - 33" x 67" (not including head pillow or legs)
Mom, Dad—now you know what I want for Christmas. The Tauntaun Sleeping Bag goes for $99.
(For those inclined to get their outdoor loved ones a sleeping bag with more outdoor utility than geek street cred, check out the best sleeping bags in our Holiday Gift Guide, handpicked by our very own Gear Editor Kristin Hostetter.)