We called for your help—and you answered! We wanted to know your favorite long trails, parks, and weekend getaways in the West (AK, WA, OR, CA, NV, and HI). Here’s how you responded.
Q: Of the most viewed weekend trips on our website (shown below), which would you most like to do next weekend, if proximity is not a factor?
A: These three trips topped the list: HIKE IT: Download the tracks and waypoints for the most viewed trips on our website.
>> Anchorage, AK: Crow Pass Trail: backpacker.com/hikes/393658
>> Yosemite NP, CA: Clouds Rest: backpacker.com/hikes/283162
>> Olympic NP, WA: Cape Alava Loop: backpacker.com/hikes/55146
>> Kauai, HI: Wailua River Paddle: backpacker.com/hikes/50372
>> Joshua Tree NP: Lost Palms Oasis: backpacker.com/hikes/338185
>> Portland, OR: Mt. Defiance: backpacker.com/hikes/51191
>> Seattle, WA: Pratt Lake Saddle: backpacker.com/hikes/380189
Q: Of these 10 big, classic trips in the West (listed below), which is #1 on your list to do before you kick the bucket?
A: 38% of you wanted to climb Mt. McKinley.
HIKE IT: Download the tracks and waypoints for these classic trips on our website.
1. Denali NP, AK: Mt. McKinley: backpacker.com/hikes/31039 (38%)
2. Mt. Rainier NP, WA: Mt. Rainier: backpacker.com/hikes/616829 (11%)
3. Olympic NP, WA: Hoh River to Third Beach: backpacker.com/hikes/55411 (11%)
4. Seattle, WA: The Enchantments: backpacker.com/hikes/378867 (10%)
5. Sequoia NP: High Sierra Trail: backpacker.com/hikes/25771 (10%)
6. Eureka, CA: Lost Coast Trail: backpacker.com/hikes/27498 (7%)
7. Kauai, HI: Na Pali Coast via Kalalau Trail: backpacker.com/hikes/51207 (7%)
8. Yosemite NP: Lyell Canyon to Yosemite Valley: backpacker.com/hikes/264804 (5%)
9. Yosemite NP: The North Rim: backpacker.com/hikes/368705 (4%)
10. Portland, OR: Mt. Hood: backpacker.com/hikes/54445 (3%)
Q: What’s the best trailside pub in your region?
Q: What’s the top trail town in your area?
(Word clouds created by wordle.net)